You don’t always have to go far to take a day trip. Plan a day trip downtown to the Dallas Arts District. The district is approximately 68 acres in size and is packed with all sorts of arts, theater, and entertainment. Venues there include the Annette Strauss Artist Square, the Belo Mansion and Dallas Bar Association, Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, Dallas Black Dance Theatre, the Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, the Dallas Theater Center, Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, Nasher Sculpture Center, St. Paul United Methodist Church, Fellowship Church, Trammell Crow Center, and the Trammell & Margaret Crow Collection of Asian Art, just to name a few of the things that you can do there. There’s entertainment for all ages too. Now before you head down there, take a moment to read over the tips which are listed below. They should help you to save a little extra money on your day trip. This includes discounts, promotions, coupons, and more.
Coupons for the Dallas Arts District
- Check with local ticket discounters like Goldstar. This is a great way to save 50% or more off tickets to special events at the Dallas Arts District.
- Plan a day trip to the Dallas Arts District for the first weekend of every month. A lot of the places offer free admission for the first weekend or the first Saturday of every month.
- Subscribe to the weekly updates or follow the Dallas Arts District on Facebook and Twitter. They will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
- Check with the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau. They offer a few coupons for some of the events and attractions at the Dallas Arts District.
- Check with the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon. They often post deals and savings of up to 50% off tickets to select events at the Dallas Arts District.
What Else Is At The Dallas Arts District
Don’t forget to check out the food trucks at the Dallas Arts District. Food service starts around 11 am and continues through 1:30 pm daily. They are located at the Winspear Opera House and on the corner of Leonard and Flora St. Just be sure to check the calendar on the Dallas Arts District site before you make your day trip there to see which food trucks will be there. That way you can go ahead and plan your gastronomic experience at the district.
An idea for an evening day trip from Dallas is a visit to Addision for a murder mystery dinner. The Hotel InterContinental Dallas plays host to Keith and Margo’s Ultimate Murder Mystery Dinner on Saturday evenings. The show immerses the audience in a fun interactive experience where they try and solve the mystery of a homicide. The case is led by detective / stand up comedian. Some of the audience members may even be treated as a suspect! While trying to solve the fun and hilarious murder mystery all of the guests will be treated to a reception with hors d’oeuvres and three course dinner. A cash bar is also available for guests.
If you miss out on the ticket deal you can also check with the local coupon publications. They sometimes have a promotional code that you can enter for your online ticket purchase. There is a promotional code box on the ticket order page. Enter the coupon here and click continue to get the latest discount on the murder mystery dinner tickets. You can also sign up for the email newsletter which will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
For a good laugh that won’t cost a fortune, take a day trip over to Arlington to see the Improv comedy show. Each night features a new performance. Ticket prices vary, but they are usually around $10 per person. You can even have dinner there if you wish. Just check the calendar ahead of time to see what the upcoming performances are. Now if you want to save a little extra money on your tickets then purchase your Arlington Improv tickets ahead of time through the local ticket discounter where you can actually get FREE tickets to certain performances. Now these are limited time only discounts for certain shows. If you miss out on the free tickets then don’t worry. There are still plenty of other ways that you can save. Here is a list of some of the other ways that you can save on your tickets for the Arlington Improv.
Coupons for the Arlington Improv
- If you are purchasing your tickets online then look for promo codes. You will notice a promo code box towards the bottom right of the checkout page. Enter the coupon here and then click apply promo. You should then see the discount appear right below.
- Be sure to follow the Arlington Improv on Facebook and Twitter. They will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
- Check with the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon and Livingsocial. In the past they have offered savings of up to 50% off select ticket packages for the Arlington Improv.
- Be sure to register yourself for their email newsletter. You will be automatically entered in a contest to receive free tickets to a show at Arlington Improv.
- Check with the Arlington Convention and Visitors Bureau. They do have a few coupons for area attractions and may offer some deals on tickets to a show at Arlington Improv.
There are actually quite a few Improv Comedy Clubs and Restaurants nationwide. In fact there are two in the Dallas Metroplex area. One is in Arlington and the other is in the Addison area. There are a lot of comedians that make their rounds at the various Improv Comedy Clubs. You can visit the Improv site to see the headliners that are making their rounds and then check the calendar of the local Improv Comedy Club to see when they will be coming there.
There is a lot to do in Grapevine so it’s always one of the better options for day trips from Dallas. This is especially true if you have kids. Of course the center of the attractions there is the Grapevine Mills Mall. A whole day or even a whole weekend can be spent there. As far as activities go, there is the Legoland Discovery Center, the Sea Life Aquarium, and the AMC 30 Theater.
Making an extended stay out of your visit to Grapevine? Be sure to check out the Grapevine Vintage Railroad and take a ride to the Fort Worth Stockyards or just take the Fun Train for a little trip back through time. You can make your train reservations online. If you are in the military then you can actually save $3 off your ticket when you use discount code MIL2013.
Of course there’s always Lake Grapevine. The fee for the public area is just $5 per vehicle. There’s plenty of picnic areas there as well as swimming areas, sand volleyball courts, a playground, and of course clean restrooms. And of course for the boating enthusiasts there’s two marinas there as well as available rentals. The bottom line is there is plenty of things to do for your Grapevine day trip from Dallas.
For an educational experience that the whole family can enjoy just plan a day trip from Dallas to Plano to see The Heritage Farmstead Museum. It’s one of the premier living history museums in Texas. Its even accredited by the American Association of Museums. Take one of the many guided tours there or sign up to participate in one of their many well organized programs and camps. There are camps and programs designed for several specific age groups.
Coupons for The Heritage Farmstead Museum
- If you are a senior be sure to mention this when purchasing your guided tour tickets and you can save $1.50 off the cost of your guided tours.
- If you are a student just show your student ID and you will also save $1.50 off a guided tour at The Heritage Farmstead Museum.
- If you are in the military be sure to mention this and show your military ID. You will get free admission for you and up to 5 other members in your family or group.
- Become a member of The Heritage Farmstead Museum. A family membership actually pays for itself in less than 4 visits.
- Be sure to sign up for the The Heritage Farmstead Museum email newsletter or follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. They will keep you informed of the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
At The Heritage Farmstead Museum
The Heritage Farmstead Museum is also a great place for birthday parties. There are actually several different packages to choose from. Each of these offers an exciting experience that is truly unique to The Heritage Farmstead Museum. Scout troops are always welcomed at The Heritage Farmstead Museum and each scout will receive a discount of $1.50 off their admission. Finally, there are summer camps that run from June through August which is both fun and educational.
Just an hour north of Dallas in Whitewright is the Sleepy Sheep Ranch. The ranch features over 250 acres of wooded land with multiple horseback trails to ride on. And while you are there you can also purchase all natural grass fed meat to take home with you. Now before you head up to the Sleepy Sheep Ranch, take a moment to read the tips and suggestions which are listed below. They should help you to save both time and money on your day trip. And in addition to all of that you should also find a listing of the latest known coupons for the Sleepy Sheep Ranch listed below as well for even more savings.
Coupons for the Sleepy Sheep Ranch
- Always keep an eye on the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon. They almost always run deals with savings of up to 50% on horseback trail rides at the Sleepy Sheep Ranch.
- Be sure to sign up for the Sleepy Sheep Ranch email newsletter or follow them on Facebook and Twitter. They will keep you informed of the latest news, deals, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
- Check the daily deals from the Sleepy Sheep Ranch. They often list deals on the meat that they sell and post the savings on their website.
- Make the most of your day trip to Whitewright by booking a trail ride and dinner package. This is one of the better deals and gives you a nice ending to your day.
At the Sleepy Sheep Ranch
If you book a trail ride and dinner package you get a choice of specially prepared meals like smoked brisket, baby back ribs, grilled chicken and of course steak that’s all paired with a nice wine. There’s also a vegetarian menu available. And don’t forget to shop the Country Store while you are there to bring something home with you.
If you want to see the most dazzling collection of jewelry and gems under one roof then take a short day trip over to the Dallas Market Hall for the International Gem and Jewelry Show. Admission to the show is $8 at the gate but you can actually get FREE ADMISSION. Just purchase your passes ahead of time through Goldstar. They are the local ticket discounter serving the Dallas area. The free admission is only available in limited quantities. Right now free admission passes are still available for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The The International Gem and Jewelry Show takes place in the main exhibit hall so you can’t miss it.
Take a day trip from Dallas to Crandall to the Broken Bow Ranch. It is just a short 30 minute drive southeast of Dallas, off Highway 175. The ranch has quite a few outdoor activities which include paintball, hunting, horseback riding, and camps. Of course the most popular activity there is horseback riding, which includes camps, lessons, and trail rides. Everything is led by Gay Leigh Bingham, a horsewoman with over 25 years of experience. This is a popular ranch so if you wish to take a day trip there you will certainly want to make your reservation ahead of time to insure availability.
This is a working cattle ranch so while you are there you will want to take the time to observe the daily activities at the Broken Bow Ranch. And you can actually purchase all natural angus beef while you are there too. This is community supported agriculture so your purchase will go towards supporting the local cattle community.
Finally there’s plenty of hunting available on the ranch when in season. There’s nearly a thousand acres to hunt at Broken Bow Ranch. And if you do not have a gun to hunt with there are actually guns on the premises that you can rent.
Just an hour’s day trip north of Dallas, in Pilot Point, is the Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch. There you can spend the day getting up close and personal with the endangered wildlife at the ranch. It’s a unique experience to get to see these animals in their natural habitat so up close and personal. The 125 acre ranch is home to about 130 different exotic or endangered animals. And in addition to the animals there, the wildlife ranch also has a safari tram and bucket train. There’s also a picnic area as well for guests’ enjoyment. There are a few ways to save a little extra money. Below are some tips on how you can save on your visit. In addition to that you should also find a listing of the latest known coupons for Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch listed below as well for even more savings.
Tips & Coupons
- Check out the daily deal / coupon sites like Groupon. From time to time there are deals with savings of 50% or more on admissions to Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch.
- Be sure to follow the Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for the latest news, promotions, and sometimes even exclusive coupons.
- If you are a senior, be sure to mention this and you will get $2 off your admission ticket to Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch.
- For any homeschooler, visit the Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch on select days in the year and pay half the price of admission.
A day trip to the Fort Worth Stockyards is always an interesting trip. There is always some thing to do with attractions, entertainment, dining, shopping, live events, and more. Before you make your day trip there though, you will want to take the time to plan out the trip ahead of time. This can save a lot of time and maximize your time available for all of the activities. A few highlights that should be considered for your Fort Worth Stockyards day trip itinerary should be the Stockyards Museum, Stockyards Station, Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame, and of course Billy Bob’s Texas, the world’s largest honky tonk.
Parking is usually not difficult at the Fort Worth Stockyards but many of the lots do charge a nominal fee. Most parking lots will cost around $3 per vehicle. There are some free parking options available along East Exchange Avenue and at the Fort Worth Stockyards though they obviously fill up quick. There is a parking lot on the northeast side of the stockyards that is free parking. Additionally if you come to the Fort Worth Stockyards during the week between 11 am and 2 pm they do offer free parking in most lots. During special events there is usually no free parking available.
Above all else, always check the events calendar for the Fort Worth Stockyards. Practically every day there is something going on. At the very least there is the Longhorn Cattle Drive which is always fascinating to watch. Plus you will enjoy a little bit of history!